Saturday, January 27, 2018

Bomber Boys 24x36"







These two boys are my aunt's husband and brother, Dick and Doug (I think). I adjusted the photo (I'll post the image next time) so that both boys are the same height. One is actually younger (Dick, who is on the right) and shorter. I wanted them close together. They are somewhat leaning in towards each other, but slightly turned away from each other. Sometimes I prefer this to make it seem like they are more engaged with the viewer than each other.

I began with a charcoal drawing using my image on my computer as reference, and using a ruler to help me draw.
The second pic: Cover the canvas with tracing paper and traced my drawing, knowing at some point  I'll end up covering my drawing with collage paper. I can just trace back over using carbon paper to find my drawing again.
Pics 3 and 4: two stacks of collage paper. The one on the left was my first attempt at choosing paper. I liked the combo, but wanted to work with something darker, something earthier, so I came up with the one on the right. This can change as I go along, however.
Pic 5: tentative placement of paper, which was so tentative I decided to set it all aside and start with an underpainting
Pics 6, 7, 8 : so I pulled out my acrylics to paint the underpainting. Using acrylics will allow me to glue paper on top of the painting, then proceed with oil. I trust that the painting so far will help make my paper choices easier. (fingers crossed).

No comments: